MAC – Media Access
ControlDon't confuse apple's MAC computers!
The pedagogical objectives of this lesson are:
– understand that a network card – a MAC address –
what these addresses correspond to –
know how to find his MAC address
In order to surf the Internet, what do we need? A network card!
There are several:
– Ethernet network card
– WiFi card
– Bluetooth card
These cards have "serial numbers" unique in the world generated by the manufacturer.
It may be represented in various forms:
P.S. In groups of two, four, separated by dashes or double points. Doesn't matter!!
What is a MAC address?
– a 48-bit address –
unique in the w
orld – each network card has one-
coded in Hexadecimal
Composition of a MAC address
This address has two parts:
– a party to identify the seller
– a part assigned by the seller
We can see this as a name and a first name!!
Take my iPhone as an example, its MAC address is:
E0: 5F: 45: DD: 08:65
The YES part is donated by an international body. All MAC addresses starting with E0:5F:45 belong to Apple!
Let's check this out on the MAC Vendor website:
How does this site work? It takes the first part of the address and checks who is registered behind!
How do I know his MAC address?
Step 1 instruction:
– in the search bar at the bottom right, type "CD
M" – click right on the icon "Command Invitation"
Step 2 instruction:
– after making a right click, click "Run as an Administrator"
Step 3 instruction:
– a black window opens, type "ipconfig /all"
Step 4 instruction:
– your physical address is your MAC address, it's up to you to find the corresponding network card
As we have seen before, MAC addresses can identify the issuing network card as well as the recipient's network card on a local network.
But if our computer wants to send a message to all members of our network:
– how is he going to do i
t?- what address will MAC put in the "Destination" part?
The answer is simple, it will put this destination address:
What's going to happen?
– our switch will know that it will have to spread this message on all its port
s – all the computers that will receive this frame will process the message
When to use this broadcast address?
– search for a DHCP server to get an IP address
– I don't know my recipient's MAC address – I
want to find a person's MAC address – I w
ant to announce my address on the network
Change your MAC address
Why change his MAC address?
– be more discreet when connecting to a public WiFi network. (#Log
s) – enjoy free WiFi access several times (example: 30 minutes
free) – bypass a port-security security.
– that's not the point
! – I'll let you look
– it's pretty easy 😉
Hoping this article has been helpful to you!
Don't hesitate to let me know!!