GOOD TO ALL!
The Finger In The Net site aims to provide you with courses on the trade of engineer, administrator and network technician.
Before going into the details of these trades, it is important to know how to place it in our daily lives.
You have never been asked the following questions:
"What is network administrator?
What are you actually doing?
Are you a big geek who cracks passwords like on TV?"
Our job is simple:
We are the men who connect men!
To do this, there are two types of network:
– the INTERNET network
– INTRANET networks (corporate networks)
INTERNET – INTER-NETwork – Network that connects networks
INTRANET – INTRA-NETwork – Internal Network
To get to the heart of the matter, we will present the Internet.
The Internet world
What is the Internet?
Internet is a network that belongs to everyone
The Internet is the greatest invention of the 20th century
We are only at the beginning !!!
Why do you have to pay for a phone plan or an Internet subscription at home?
To get your information transported!
Facebook, Google, or whatever, don't touch anything on your subscription! They make money from advertising.
I'm on the couch of my little Parisian apartment, it's Sunday night, and I want to watch Rihanna's latest music video!
– the video is on the YouTube site
– YouTube is owned by Google
– Google servers are in the USA
– by clicking on the play button, my phone will download the video from the USA!
The information will cross the American continent, the Atlantic Ocean and Europe in less than 50 milliseconds just for your beautiful eyes! Do you realize that? That's crazy!!
And to provide this service, you need:
– network equipment (switch, routers)
– transmission supports (cables, fiber, WiFi, 3G/4G)
– engineers and network administrators to set up/configure/maintain these equipment (YOU!)
The maintenance and expansion of this network has a cost! A cost distributed among users.
The birth of the INTERNET network
1946 – Creation of the first computer (it weighs 30 tons).
1957 – The Russians launch the Sputnik 1 satellite into space (it's the first satellite in the world), the Americans have the balls, because they are really behind technologically.
1958 – US President Eisenhower decides to create:
– NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration)
– DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency)
We are in the middle of the Cold War, the Russians have overtaken the U.S.
The U.S. wants:
– remain the world's largest power
– be able to exchange information as quickly as possible
– keep all their communication capabilities in the event of a nuclear attack
1962 – ARPANET begins work
1965 – First link between California and Massachusetts.
First message sent on the Internet: LO
1971 – Invention of the mail and its famous
First email in history: qwertyuiop
1975 – Microsoft is founded.
1976 – Apple is created.
1983 – Divided arpANET network into two parts:
– Milnet – US Military Network
– Internet – Public network
Adoption of the TCP/IP model to communicate!
1991 – First website
First website in history
(It's not the same address, but you'll find the same content)
The Internet these days
The Internet is made up of three things:
– communication media
In order to browse the Internet, we need electronic equipment that will transform the 0 and 1 received over the Internet into web pages, video and telephone conversations.
The best known:
Servers (Google, Facebook)
Why are we going on the Internet?
To go to websites!
The best known:
What's a website?
What is a website? It's a file with code:
This file is present on an Internet server to be accessible to all!
What happens when you type https://fingerinthenet.com/home into your Internet browser:
– your PC will ask for the IP address of the fingerinthenet.com server (DNS)
– your PC will ask this IP address to send you the Home file of the fingerinthenet site
– your web browser will open this file and turn this code into a much prettier visual.
– a website is a folder containing several files
– each file corresponds to a web page
– a website is on a server
Why did you choose the word server?
As in a bar, we have customers and waiters:
– a customer comes for a service (customer – idi, smartphone, tablet)
– a server brings this service (server – server)
A server is a powerful computer that can host services (web pages, streaming, videos, telephony, etc.).
Difference between a computer and a server
A computer and a server have:
– an operating system (Windows, Linux)
– computational ability (proccesse/CPU)
– a hard drive
– a network card to communicate
Uh… Is it the same? The answer is yes!
The only difference is in the use of the latter.
– a computer is provided for a person who works on local files, watches videos, browses the web and plays video games
– a server is intended to offer a service to millions of users
Ok, so the websites are on servers… But where are these servers? In DataCenter (data center).
A data center contains a lot of servers:
– the data is replicated between servers
– data centers are replicated between them
– your data is safe on the Internet, because it is copied everywhere!!
– the only way to lose your data is to delete it manually or for a hacker to do it for you…
I suggest you watch the video below to put an image on Google's servers and what it means:
Internet – www
www – world wide web
– world wide – on a global scale
– web – web (spider web – Spider Web)
– world wide web – web on a global scale
Why is the Internet said to look like a spider's web? Because everyone is connected with everyone! And to connect everyone with everyone, we do it with cables!
So pleiiiiins of cables from all over the world that travel the whole !!!
– Intra-Continent links – Use of telephone network and then replacement with fibre optics
– Inter-Contains links – Underwater optical fiber
– several billion users and servers
– they can't all be connected to each other (can you imagine several billion cables connected to your PC?)
– your data is therefore processed by equipment in order to be sent over the network
These devices must be configured! This is the job of network administrator!
I suggest you watch this short report from France 2 on the installation of underwater optical fibers:
Internet of tomorrow
Internet of Things
IoT (Internet of Things) – Internet of Things.
The Internet of Things will connect things to the Internet in order to gather information.
Example: The Garbage
Garbage trucks in your city have a daily route to go around the city's garbage cans.
All the garbage cans in your city will be connected to the Internet and will give their load percentages (I'm trash can 139 and I'm filled to 42%) to a waiter.
This server will take into account:
– the rate of filling all the garbage cans in the city
– the number of garbage trucks available
– the city's road traffic at the t-moment.
With this information, our server will provide each driver with the shortest route to pick up all the garbage in his area with a filling rate of more than 75%.
– saving time
– less pollution
Hoping you enjoyed this article!
Don't hesitate to let me know!!